Friday, January 10, 2014

ZANSHIN: On the Importance of Character




ZANSHIN

                                         On the Importance of Character

          Grandmaster Garrison’s classes are a combination of the study of martial art techniques, martial art history, and general philosophy.  He has stated many times that his goal is not only to produce better martial artists, but also better people.  This includes what he calls “internal training.” 
          Internal training is learning something new that is taken in to a person’s being so deeply that his or her entire approach to living is changed.  An example of this might be that a student is challenged to exert himself to such a degree that they learn tenacity, or aiding a person who is challenged by adversity and discovering their own compassion for others.
          The following is an email I sent to Mr. Garrison recently that touches on this kind of training.  He felt it sufficiently to the point that his wife, Shon Garrison, asked me if they could post it on their website.  Of course I was honored to say yes, and feel I could get away with sticking it on my blog site as well.

Mr. Garrison,
            We talked last Thursday night about including some martial arts philosophy with your talk about martial arts history, and you asked me my thoughts, or questions I might have.  I immediately thought about this famous Funikoshi quote that so impressed me I used it in my book:


Karate is no different from other martial arts in fostering the traits of courage, courtesy, integrity, humility, and self-control in those who have found its essence.  – Gichen Funikoshi, founder of Shodokan Karate
I guess I am still looking for an easily understandable explanation of the relationship between these positive character traits and martial mastery.  We see the televised world of mixed martial arts and witness fighters who are formidable and intimidating, but who have no manners or self control.  I have never aspired to be like that, but I expect there are thousands of MMA wannabe’s that do.   But MMA is still an artificial format where all the variables are known:  a fight is going to happen at a certain time and place with a certain known opponent.  Most actual fights occur suddenly and often surprisingly, with at least one of the people involved thinking What is happening?
My thinking is that strong character and integrity helps that person to assess the situation and initiate a response more rapidly than a person with weak character and unclear personal values.
Also, a person who is living his (or her) life according to strong personal values will have more personal resolve to support those values with whatever action is necessary.  I believe this is the source of inner strength.
There is another quote I like that implies this inner strength can be projected:
This is an old Martial Arts idea—the one who wins the fight is of the lowest class. The one who wins without fighting is best. The one that fights maybe wins maybe loses. But without fighting, you never lose, you train and work hard and finally there is self-development. Then when you face your opponent, they become scared of your strength and you stop their actions. This is best.
-- Hidetaka Nishiyama, 9th dan, Karate-Do
I don’t know if any of this is helpful, or even clear.  It is not always clear to me, but this is some of what I was thinking.  No matter what technique is utilized, the whole point of personal defense is to be able to assess a dangerous situation in time to defend oneself effectively.   Strong character values will greatly aid this process by providing  preconceived outcome objectives and instant permission to act  to achieve them.  I believe martial technique is not effective without strong character.  This is an essential part of warrior mind.
Mr. Morgan

Only positive energy emanates from an enlightened man.
(quote from the book Warrior Mind)

1 comment:

  1. Very enlightening opinions and references. With MMA "training" recently being used as a way to combat bullying I am left with distaste in my mouth- and I know nothing of fighting in any form. It reeks of gladiatorial combat.

    Oddly I do admit that I have enjoyed boxing for some years. It seems very different from MMA

    Thanks for posting your obsrevations

    ReplyDelete