Friday, January 3, 2014

ZANSHIN: On Death and the Quest for Serenity



      My ZANSHIN philosophy column ran continuously from 1990 to 2010 in the World Oriental Martial Arts Newsletter, and later, on the WOMAF website.  Then my teacher, Grandmaster James R. Garrison, began his own blog, which I believe are wonderful, and I did not want to compete with him.  This particular column was written in 2010, just after my mom passed away.  It is part catharsis, part eulogy, and part philosophic musing, but I think it still works okay.


Z A N S H I N

                          
                   by  Dick Morgan




                       

                         On Death, and the Quest for Serenity

          My mother passed away on June 22, after a brief but intense fight with multi-system cancer.  By the time she was told she officially had the big C, it was everywhere.   But she was 91 years old, a staunch Christian; she took the whole struggle in stride, showing great courage, unflappable faith, and love for everyone and everything around her right up to the end.
          On the morning of her last day, she telephoned her grand-daughter and told her that she was eating a doughnut and drinking coffee, and enjoying it very much, even though neither was on her diet plan.  She was seen by a hospice nurse afterwards, and complained of an increase in the severity of her pain.  She was given an increased amount of all her medications, and then she just went to sleep and passed away.  Among Cancer deaths, it was as graceful an exit as I have ever heard about.
          She led a life of strong spirit and amazing generosity.  She shopped at thrift stores for her own clothes so that she could give more of her monthly retirement funds to her chosen charities, mostly missionaries serving in third world countries.  While cleaning out her meager belongings, several dozen cards and letters were found from missionaries from such places as Rwanda, Kenya, Zimbabwe, The Philippines, Mongolia, and Thailand.  All were handwritten and recent, thanking her for her years of support.
          Hundreds of people came to her memorial, even though because of some glitch, her obituary never got printed in the newspaper.  My mother’s own network of Christian fellowship had spread the word, and people came from several states. 
          She was a Christian army of one, and wore her faith like a low-slung pistol, but with charity in her heart and the love of Jesus in her soul.  Her entire life gradually evolved into one long prayer, and I’m certain I was on a long list of people and causes that warranted regular discussion with God.  I grew confident that were evil to befall me, I could have Mom activate her prayer network, and the Universe would be patched up like an old tire.  I’ll miss that metaphysical safety net.
          Yet there is no sadness, for parents are supposed to die before their children.  That is the natural way of things.  I am celebrating my mother’s life, as a triumph, now complete.  She lived as though at every moment, her life was complete just as it was, and each moment was one more encore to an already successful symphony. 
What if in our final moment, our whole life runs together, occurring simultaneously, and ultimately becomes a single resonant note in the Music of the Spheres?   My mom’s life was the epitome of harmony, perhaps because of her simple, fundamental Christian faith.  I can’t help but wonder if my life, as a single final note, will be as melodious.  My own beliefs are comprised of the myriad of experiences in my own life, and consist of bits of Zen, Buddhism, Taoism, Quantum Physics, and yes, some Christianity, all swirled together into a kind of New Age mix.  But the true test of belief is how it affects one’s behavior.  Am I generous enough, compassionate enough?  Empathetic enough?  Spiritual enough?  Then one has to ask, enough for what?  For my mom?  Well, she’s dead; I’m going to have to answer such questions by myself now.  
We all come to that point.  Eventually, we ask ourselves what we are doing on the planet.  My mother had it all worked out in pamphlet form, pure and simple.  Life comes with an instruction manual, she used to say, patting the cover of her well-worn Bible.  But I never liked instruction manuals, and seldom read them.  And anyway, I often feel like I’m a car, and I got an instruction manual for a TV.  It seems to be my destiny to work things out in the most complicated and difficult way possible.
Ultimately, it is up to me to lead my own life, not my mother’s idea for it.  You’d think I’d be comfortable with that after all these years.  But still, my life does not feel complete.  I don’t understand why I would think that way; I’ve a loving wife, raised a beautiful daughter, retired with honor from the fire department, and published two books since then.  I am a master martial artist who has had the privilege of occasionally teaching over the past four decades.  Isn’t that enough? 
          I have this feeling that God has something planned for me, but for some reason, He won’t tell me what it is.  I have to discover it on my own.  Well, that sucks.  Other people have visions; where’s mine?  Maybe if I said an especially poignant prayer, God might have mercy on me, and throw me a bone.  But maybe He’s been doing that all along, and I’ve been too dense to see it.  Maybe God is having trouble dumbing down his communication skills to my level of inattention. 
The metaphysics of grief are chewing me up.  The little pamphlet that the hospice nurses give surviving family members talks about the five stages of the grief process: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance.  I didn’t find that to be particularly helpful.  There was no sense denying what had happened, and I really wasn’t angry about it.  There was nothing to bargain for, except perhaps some metaphysical clarity.  That leaves depression and acceptance.  Not exactly uplifting choices.  I need some other progression in order to move on.
          I think there must be a set of guidelines for metaphysical healing and growth following a catastrophic event or significant loss for those of us who got the wrong handbook.  Here are my own suggestions:

1.     Don’t assess your worth when you are depressed.  You’re more likely to arrive at cynical and self-depreciative conclusions. This can de-motivate the healing process.
2.     Be your best version of yourself.  In times of high stress, we tend to make short-term decisions based on comfort, and lose sight of our long term goals.  Avoid activities and food that makes you fat and stupid.  Remember who you are, and what you are trying to achieve.
3.     Reach out to people who care for you.  We are on this journey together, and we can carry each other over the hard bridges.  Some will have comforting thoughts for you; others will be good listeners.  The best way to reach out is to be the friend that others need. By giving, you will receive.
4.     Enjoy each moment here and now.  Life is written in pencil; memories are written in indelible ink.  Live honorably, so that each moment can be celebrated with joy and remembered with pride.  Savor the moment with each breath.
5.     Step back from life’s rapids and meditate.   Deep breathe, look around and appreciate.  Let go of your edges and be one with all that surrounds you.  Reach out with your mind to the entire Universe and wish it well.  Sometimes you might feel an exchange of loving benevolence in return.  One can always hope.  And, as my mother has
          shown me, it certainly can’t hurt.  

                                  *       *       *       *       *       *       *

No comments:

Post a Comment