Saturday, April 5, 2014

Zanshin: On Becoming a Brown Belt



This column was written about seven years ago, and caused a bit of controversy for me.  One person in particular didn't like it.  You can guess who.  But I have little tolerance for... well, read the article.


Z A N S H I N

                    By Dick Morgan

                            On Becoming a Brown Belt

          A month ago, Grandmaster Garrison asked me if I would be free to be on the judge’s panel of a Hapkido promotional exam.  There would be a student or two testing for brown belt.  Of course I said yes, as those kind of questions are not really questions.  When your teacher says, I’d like you to do something, you rearrange your schedule to make that happen.  That defines the teacher/student relationship.  The teacher is really saying, “I think your training will be enhanced by having this experience.”  And it is the student’s job to obey.  You must trust the teacher’s judgement no matter what the request.  If you can’t, then you need to find another teacher.
          Being a judge is both informative and fascinating.  I get to observe my teacher in his most intense and critical mode.  I get to watch students get physically pounded and mentally squeezed past their own limitations.  I get to see them firm up their intent and rise to the challenge, determination blazing across their faces.  This is what my teacher wants for all his students.  It’s what I want for my own.
          So, when I accepted, I asked him a favor.  I had two students who were almost ready to test for brown belt.  I asked if they could be included in the test.  One of my students I considered more ready to test; the other, I would encourage to watch.  Grandmaster Garrison readily agreed.
          At my next class session, I took these two students aside and gave them this information.  I wanted one student to test, and the other, who I  considered not quite ready, would watch the test.  The student who I asked to test replied, “I don’t think I’m ready.  I don’t want to.  I don’t think I’m going to test.”
          I was very surprised and puzzled by his response for a couple of reasons.  First, it is not up to the student whether he is ready for a certain test-- ready for any training experience, really.  That is a teacher’s judgment.  And second, it is a student’s duty to obey the teacher.  I told him to test, and he basically said, “No.”  How am I supposed to remain his teacher then?
          A few days later, two days before the test, I shared this conversation with Grandmaster Garrison after advanced practice.  He told me, “No is not an option for either of them.  Have both of your students here on the mat, in uniform, a half-hour before the test.”
          I would not see these two students before the test, as I had cancelled my own Hapkido class in order to be present at Grandmaster Garrison’s test.  I had to telephone them both the day before the test.  I couldn’t reach either of them, so I left a couple of phone messages.  One got the message; the other didn’t.
          The student whom I considered ready to test was at my teacher’s dojang, on the mat and in uniform by the time I arrived.  He was stretching out with the other testing candidates, looking pale and nervous.  The other student showed up just before the test was to start without a uniform.  He had not been home nor checked his phone messages; he did not get the information that Grandmaster Garrison wanted him on the mat.  He had come to watch the test, which was the last information he had received.
          Grandmaster Garrison told me to inform him that he was to be on the mat one way or another, and handed me one of his own spare uniforms.  The only spare belt I could find was an old green belt, but I presented these to my second student, told him to dress down, and to hurry.  His eyebrow raised slightly, then he shrugged and hurried off to the dressing room.
          The long and arduous test was run by one of our other black belts, an extremely athletic young man who had been drilling the lower ranks in Hapkido basics for about a year.  Students were led through vigorous sets of walking basics, forms, falling, one-step sparring, and Ho Shin Sul-- self defense techniques involving grabs, throws, and take-downs.  My students performed alongside and with all the others, even though they were not familiar with some of the techniques.  It was clear that some of the techniques were unfamiliar to all the students.  At the brown belt level, a student should begin to think strategically, and improvise when necessary.  How one deals with the unknown is a major part of the mindset referred to as Warrior Mind. 
          My first student’s performance—the student I had considered ready—steadily worsened.  He hesitated and faltered, frowning and shaking his head.  Halfway through the test, I saw him at the edge of the mat, holding his head.  He had apparently taken a blow to the back of his head and was dizzy.  He left the mat and did not return.  I left the judge’s area to see how he was doing and examined his head.  I could not find any area of injury, swelling, or even tenderness.
          My second student—the one whom I had not considered ready—stayed on the mat.  He could not do the techniques he had not seen before, so he substituted techniques we had practiced in our class.  He was awkward and nervous, but each time he was thrown down, he jumped back up and entered into the action with renewed vigor.  He never gave up, even after I saw him shake the pain out of his wrist after a wrist throw.  He totally blew his form, but he began again and moved slower, deliberately forcing himself to remember each step.  And he finished.
          During the execution of one technique, this student lost his balance and was quickly countered by his opponent; I closed my eyes in embarrassment for my student.  Grandmaster Garrison must have seen me wince.  He said, “Your student is having a good test.”  I said, “He looks terrible!”  Grandmaster Garrison replied, “Oh, that’s just technique.  You can help him with that.  But when he gets thrown down he keeps getting up quickly, and he’s not giving an inch.  He’s determined to see it through.  You can’t teach determination.  They have to muster that on their own.  The whole point of Hapkido is to find that intent.  He’s having a fine test.  Promote him to brown belt if you want; he’s already got the mindset.  You can improve his techniques over time.  But the other one-- he will never understand the techniques until he toughens up his mind.  You should not promote him.”
          When I held my next class, I presented the second student with his blue belt with a brown stripe-- officially, brown belt apprentice rank.  This is one of the most difficult ranks to achieve; many students are not prepared for the intense shift from focusing primarily on techniques to being challenged on a mental and emotional level as well.  He had done his best, and had never given up.  “It was a challenging test,” he said.
          The other student-- the one for whom I had gotten permission to join the ranks of those being tested, and for whom I had rearranged everybody’s schedules-- I talked to him in private.  “I was not ready,” he said.  “I was nervous, and my back hurt.  I had never seen some of those moves before, and I haven’t practiced judo.  I don’t want to learn Judo.  I don’t have the build for it.  I just want to learn the stuff I can use and adapt to my own ability and comfort level.  You should not have made me go out there.” 
          Oh, poor guy.  Everything was bad, except for him.  No comment about his lack of commitment, or about allowing a minor injury to be an excuse to quit.  At one point, he said, “I wish I’d have been injured sooner.  Then I wouldn’t have had to be stressed out for so long.  It was a horrible test.  Very unfair.”  Hmm, and the other nine test candidates did just fine…
          This is not a warrior’s mindset.  This is the mindset of a narcissist victim-- a person who fails, but blames the world instead of himself.  This mindset does not pick itself up and say, “I’ll do better next time.”  The narcissist victim is more likely to say, “I’m never going to do that again.  It’s too hard.  It’s unreasonable.  It’s unfair.”
          In a real fight, it is not the techniques you know that will save you; it’s your determination to win.  It will be at a most inopportune time that life will choose to be the most unfair.  The warrior who has nurtured his indomitability will experience an automatic flow of techniques as the situation requires.  He will be practiced at improvisation, at meeting challenges.
          The person who has practiced failure will be defeated, and it won’t matter whose fault it is.
          We become what we intend.  The challenge is to be conscious of our intent, and unwavering in our resolve.  That is the heart of all martial arts.

                                      *       *       *       *       *

No comments:

Post a Comment